For this recipe I aimed for a comforting and filling dish that would fit well with the cold weather most of us are experiencing right now. Portobello mushrooms are the perfect vehicle for a warm and savory filling accented by a bright cheese and a fun technique using prosciutto for a decorative flair. This dish can easily be made vegetarian by substituting the crispy prosciutto for thinly sliced baguette crostinis. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family did over the holidays!
Also: Save $5.00 off the oil I used in the recipe! See bottom of the recipe page for details.
For the Stuffing:
- 1 lb fresh spinach
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 slices prosciutto, roughly chopped
- 1/2 C goats or blue cheese, cubed small
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 3 T olive oil (Try Masia El Altet High End)
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
For the Mushrooms and Crispy Prosciutto:
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 5 T olive oil
- 1 T salt
- 1/2 T pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Take 2 cookie sheet sized pieces of tin foil and oil both thinly and evenly.
- Lay the prosciutto flat on one sheet, and place the other sheet on top. Lay the sheets flat on a cookie pan, and use a weight (preferably another cookie pan) to hold the prosciutto flat. Place in the oven with a timer set for 30 minutes.
- Remove any stems from the mushrooms and work with a pairing knife to hollow out a suitable cavity for the stuffing.
- Heat a large skillet or stockpot to medium high heat and add 1/2 T of olive oil. Add the chopped prosciutto and saute until it begins to crisp, remove and strain on a paper towel.
- Add the remaining 2 1/2 T of olive oil and saute the onions for 1 minute until just softened. Add the spinach and garlic and prosciutto and saute until the spinach wilts and is releases moisture.
- Remove the spinach from the heat and stir in the cubed cheese. Add the stuffing to the mushroom caps.
- Place the mushroom caps in the oven for 20 minutes. When mushroom caps are done, garnish with standing pieces of the crispy prosciutto.
To save $5.00 on Masia el Altet High End, add it to your cart on this page and then enter the code PORTOBELLY at checkout. This deal expires January 23, 2015.