Most recipes for granola call for vegetable oil, which can easily be replaced by a good extra virgin olive oil. We used a gorgeously fruity Sicilian oil to complement the sweetness of the granola. Of course many variations can be made to this recipe by playing around with various types of dried fruit, nuts and seeds.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup shelled unsalted pistachios
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup raw unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (try the Nocellara variety from Sicily)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 cup chopped dried cherries
- Begin by preheating the oven to 275 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, shredded coconut and brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, olive oil, salt, cinnamon and cardamom. Combine both mixtures, then spread evenly on two separate rimmed baking sheets.
- Bake for approximately one hour, stirring every 15 minutes until golden brown. Transfer granola to a large bowl and combine with dried cherries. Allow to cool before storing in glass jars.
Yield: Approximately 10 servings